Thursday 26 September 2013

Ouch...

I'm not the only one who is experiencing the drawbacks of living in a climate where it seems mozzy's rule! Thankfully I don't have too many bites but they don't half itch! On a more positive note, today has been a really good day. I enjoyed serving at the church this morning, helping get the food ready and then serving the meal and drinks to people. The majority who we meet are really friendly and I also enjoy practicing my Greek on our guests. I think I've just about perfected 'good morning' 'with milk' 'your welcome' and other invaluable phrases when tasked with serving tea and coffee! It has also been a real pleasure getting to know people on the team. We can only pray that God would use our efforts for his greater purposes and that in some way people will see something of his love as they see his people serving together.

Getting ready to open
Open




















I am looking forward to having more meaningful conversations with people once my Greek is at a better level. Not to say that my tea serving skills are inept, it is important to be able to know when someone wants cold water with their coffee instead of hot!

At school today I only had one class to teach and it was praise God a much better time. There is a real feeling of satisfaction when you teach a 'good' lesson. I put the word good in '    ' because there is always room for improvement, but I managed to deliver a clearer lesson and the children were far more engaged then yesterday. This class however will be very different to the others as there are only three children and they already have a good level of English. It is just nice to have a class where you haven't got to stop and do a reminder every 10 minutes on the importance of respect.

Still we press on and keep things in perspective. If you have a moment I would love to commend an article on the desiringgod.org website entitled - The Strange Glory of Ordinary Things. It really made me stop, think and helpfully put things back in perspective. Number one of what the original author calls the 'Ten resolutions for mental health' is:

At least once every day I shall look steadily up at the sky and remember that I, a consciousness with a conscience, am on a planet traveling in space with wonderfully mysterious things above and about me.
   

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jon, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time at church, helping to provide food for the less unfortunate people of Athens, I now know, that when you come home for Christmas you will be well prepared to cook Barry and I a few meals!!!! and it will only be for three not 100 people, well that is unless we decide to hold a party!!. Its good to know you are enjoying time with the children, but I can understand it may be demanding at times but you have the patience to pull them back on track. I am looking forward to Skyping tomorrow, get your earplugs ready, as I may well play you another tune on the ukulele, you have been warned. Until then take care, God bless, Love and prayers. Mum. xxx

    ReplyDelete