Sunday 15 September 2013

Fun filled day...

It has been a fun filled Sunday! This morning I went to the 2nd Greek Evangelical Church. I am really looking forward to serving and belonging to the community there. It was good to see familiar faces again (people I had met last time I was in Athens) but also really good to meet new people. The service at 2nd church is conducted in Greek but thankfully there is a translation via headphones. So long as your not worried about your fashion status, you can listen to the service in English via the translation booth. One of the things I especially enjoy is singing the songs (in Greek). This can be tricky (ok... very tricky), but occasionally there will be a hymn that is familiar so you can sing along to the Greek knowing the tune (hoping one day I will know the words too). The first hymn this morning was 'to God be the glory'!

The sermon today was focussed on the theme of evangelism and the role of the church to make disciples for Jesus! We then shared the Lord's supper which I always think is a good way to begin your time at a new church. I am very much looking forward to getting involved at the 2nd church and hope this Thursday to attend a feeding ministry to the homeless. Please continue to pray that I settle in, grow in my faith, and discover how I can best serve God and his gospel in Athens.      
2nd Greek Evangelical Church

After the service, I joined a group of people for lunch and we went to a nearby taverna. It was a great way to chat to newly met people, one such group being from America. They were in Athens with an organisation called 'Agape' hoping to reach out to students with the gospel. It was great fun getting to know them and of course, discussing the differences between football and soccer!

In the afternoon I had a restful and fun time with friends which led well into the evening playing games, chatting and just having lots of fun. Please give thanks to God for friendships made and pray that these would deepen over the coming weeks and months.

And so a new week is upon us. It is going to be a busy week as my school prepare for a yet unknown intake of new students. One of the good things to come out of my immigration office visit the other day was that during my wait, I planned my introductory lesson! Tomorrow I have a couple more administrative things on my agenda before the teaching fun begins. I will look forward to sharing more over the coming week and as always many thanks for your prayers!    

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely day you had Jon I am so pleased that you are meeting new people and enjoying times with friends. To God be the glory was grandads favourite hymn and I had fond memories of playing it on my guitar and singing to it with grandad many times, his face was a picture its a lovely image to have of him; and I know grandad would of been so proud of you as like him you try to bring the gospel of the Lord to the people of Athens. May God be with you as you prepare for your week ahead. Take care. God Bless. Love as always Mum. xx

    ReplyDelete