Monday 2 September 2013

1 week in...

It is strange to think that this time 1 week ago I was sitting on a plane flying to Athens, now I am sitting on a chair blogging in Athens! My first week has been full of challenges but also many things to be thankful for. I have received a really warm welcome from my landlady, friends, the Glyfada Christian centre and today my school where I will be working. Above all I have been kept secure in the knowledge that wherever I go - God is with me! Over the last week I have felt a bit like an urban explorer making my way through the unknown.

I am now officially in Greece!
There have been many obstacles to contend with, the language barrier, unfamiliar surroundings, unfamiliar supermarkets, oh and not forgetting, the tax office! But praise God that slowly (very slowly) I am learning more Greek each day, my surroundings are getting more familiar, I now know that the supermarket has two floors! Oh and I am officially in Greece after tax office success! Give thanks to the Lord for answering prayers and please continue to pray for me as I adjust to life in Athens. God-willing by the end of this week I should have all my paperwork sorted and will be able to leave that to one side (for now).

Today was my first day at the language school and it was a really good time. After my success at the tax office, I got a taxi and arrived at the school in good time. I was welcomed into the school and spent the morning chatting through many things with the director of studies. I was made to feel very relaxed and it was good to get a clearer understanding of what I will be doing over the year. Lessons don't start until the 18th September so I have a good length of time to read and prepare for my lessons. I was actually getting excited last night as I pondered how I might teach some of my lessons. So long as I concentrate on the level criteria for my classes, I pretty much have free scope when it comes to teaching. I would really value your prayers at this time as this is my first 'real' teaching post, if I can put it like that. Please pray that I settle in to the school, get to know my colleagues and above all do my work to the glory of God!


Discovery of the week! Bread and milk
from the bakery across the road - €2.10
 
 
Monday is market day!




















 This evening is a slightly milder 28°C so I might venture out for a short walk. Thank you again for all your prayers and I hope that everything is going well where you are.     
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are settling in well it's also good to know you have made some friends and now you have also learnt how to make Greek Coffee your talents are never ending ha ha stay safe Jon we always ask G od to keep you safe in our Prayers love SUE xx

    ReplyDelete