Wednesday 18 September 2013

Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you...

To be honest, these words from Psalm 63 seemed somewhat distant as I woke up this morning not feeling 100%. It was my first day of teaching and I was feeling weak, tired and certainly not ready to face a classroom of children. Yet what could I do? I did the one thing I should do all the time, I prayed. I reached for my Bible and read Psalm 63. After praying and reading the Psalm I can honestly say that I received renewed strength, a strength which carried me through the day. Not only this but as I entered the school and prepared for my class, there was a renewed confidence knowing that God was with me:

Because you are my help,
    I sing in the shadow of your wings.
I cling to you;
    your right hand upholds me.  

                                                Psalm 63:7-8


My students arrived just before 7pm and the class of 12 Greek children entered the room. I had lots of fun in store for them and it started with a 'getting to know you' style game. I had planned on playing 'I now know you a skittle better' although quickly discovered skittles are extremely hard to come by in Greece (maybe they are still waiting for their paperwork to be stamped). I adapted to this unfortunate 'sweet' disaster and created the game 'hello haribo'. Basically we went around the room said our name and then after choosing a haribo answered the appropriate question. If you happen to have some haribo in your hand right now why not have a go:

Hello Haribo!

One of the best moments of the evening was when we played a game called 'pass it on'. This is where the class stand in a line and then pretend to pass an item down the line. I encouraged them to really act it out and it was brilliant - especially the smelly sock and sack of potatoes! Occasionally they will have to pass a bomb with a countdown timer and they absolutely loved this! Especially when I put the timer on 5 seconds! Overall please give thanks for an encouraging start but do pray for my school owner to get a schedule finalised soon (it is a very hard job as you can imagine). And then I would greatly value your prayers that I would rest in the unknowns and keep remember Psalm 63.

In other news, I have now decided to have private Greek lessons and this will start next week with a teacher who has taught a friend of mine. Tomorrow morning I will be at the 2nd church to help with a feeding ministry to the homeless. Please continue to pray that I settle into the church and find how I can best serve during my time in Athens. Oh... and give thanks that I am feeling much better and that I go in His strength throughout the rest of this week!   

1 comment:

  1. WellJonathan what an eventful start to teaching you had. I will go out and by a bag of Haribos, what a great way to play a game. I am so thankful to God that you are feeling better, and I pray that during the coming week you will gain strength and get to know your students better. I wish when I was at school I had lessons that involved sweets!!!! I hope your morning at church goes well, and the homeless people of Athens can find some peace and solace in the work you are doing. Take care and God bless. Love as always. Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete