Monday 28 October 2013

Επέτειος του "'Οχι" - Anniversary of the "No"


Today is Οχι (no) day! It is a national holiday to commemorate the rejection by Greek Prime Minister Ioannis Metaxas (in power from August 4, 1936, until January 29, 1941) of the ultimatum made by Italian dictator Benito Mussolini on October 28, 1940. It is a day filled with street parades, lots of Greek flags and of course, it provides a good opportunity to enjoy a day off work. This morning I enjoyed a walk towards Syntagma square to watch one of the parades in action. Nearby, the site of the Acropolis was too good to resist a closer look. I do love walking around that part of Athens, there are so many little streets to explore.

View of Athens taken near the Acropolis.  
This weekend has probably been one of the best since arriving in Athens just over two months ago. I really enjoyed visiting Mount Parnitha on Saturday with some friends. It was a welcome escape from the hustle and bustle of the city and also a really fun time.

I was also thankful for another blessed time with my church family, and the sermon was a crystal clear presentation of the gospel, something I needed (and still need) to hear. It really was like a treasure had once again been discovered and made me realise just how quickly we turn the gospel into a boring piece of cardboard when it truly is a nugget of pure gold! And then today I have enjoyed a wander around Athens, a glimpse at Οχι day celebrations, but will need to make time for my Greek homework at some point this afternoon. 

The Panathinaiko Stadium.
 Hosted the first modern Olympic Games in 1896
A view of Lykavittos.




















After just over two months of being in Athens there is so much to be thankful to God for. I am learning much from the experience and know that there are still many more experiences to come.

A few prayer pointers:
1. Give thanks that I am feeling more settled in my job and life in general.
2. Give thanks for some great friends who have been very supportive as I adjust to life in Athens.
3. Pray that I would grow in my love for Jesus and make the most of opportunities to witness for him.      

No comments:

Post a Comment