Sunday 6 October 2013

His ways are not mine...


The view from Mount Imitos is breaktaking! Saturday evening, I was invited by some friends to ascend the mountain and it truly is a remarkable place. Not only do you get incredible views overlooking the city, but it is also a welcome retreat from the noise that accompanies urban life. Being someone who grew up on a farm, any opportunity to venture out into the 'sticks' is much appreciated. It's not that I don't like city living, it's just that when it comes down to it, I'm still rural at heart. One of the exciting things about moving to Athens was the opportunity to experience living in a big city, and what an experience it is proving to be! As mentioned in an earlier post, this week has been one in which I have felt the most settled since arriving in Greece. Please give thanks for this and pray on for the forthcoming week. As mentioned in an even earlier post, I know that there will still be many bumps to come as I journey forth, but I know that God is using all these experiences for my good.

I've been thinking more recently about God's ultimate purpose for his people, a purpose to be conformed to the image of his son (Romans 8:29). This means that it is God's desire that all those who repent and turn from sin to Christ for salvation are to undergo a work of transformation, a process of being changed more and more into the likeness of the Saviour himself. This change project will last a life time and the methods used to bring about such change are only known by the one who owns the canvas and holds the brush. I might be able to look back and see moments where God's hidden hand was at work, yet it will be only in eternity when I will be able to see the brushstrokes in their entirety and finally behold the bigger picture! Until then, all I can do is trust, obey and know that God is faithful and good (Romans 8:28; Hebrews 10:23). There is mystery in the thought of a loving God who has pre-determined my life at his good pleasure, why he allows some things I cannot know, yet there is also wonder and a responsibility on my part, as this same God uses and relates my every daily decisions to bring about his desired end result. How can this be? All I know is His ways are not mine (Isaiah 55:9). 

Wandering through the market...

Mount. Imitos

No comments:

Post a Comment