Thursday 10 October 2013

Two paths, one destination...

At the feeding ministry today, I was thankful for being able to get to know one of the Syrian refugees. His story is one of hardship and pain, and his journey, has been a long one to say the least. The man I spoke to is 28 and was born in the same year as me, only 3 days apart. It's staggering to think of how our two paths have weaved and turned over the years until finally meeting at this point earlier today. One thing I know is that although we may not share the same path, we do share the same destination, for we will all stand before God's judgement seat (Romans 14:10). He is not a believer and so please pray that he might hear and receive the good news of salvation in Christ!

Syrian refugees face a hard and life threatening decision. Flee their country and seek refuge in a new country with the possibility of death, or stay in their native land and suffer the terrors of war and the possibility of death. It's not much of a choice really is it? My friend, his brother and mother made the decision to flee and after a day, they had made it via a smuggler to Turkey. They then waited until they could sail from Turkey to Kos, and then endured the journey from Kos to Athens. After a year in Athens they are hoping to finally live in Norway where the father of the family is living after seeking asylum at an earlier date. In the end it always seems to come down to three things - money, paperwork and timing. Many refugees seeking to enter Europe don't have the greatest of prospects when it comes to either of these three things.

An optimistic outlook for
the week ahead!
Please pray that I would continue to have good opportunities speaking to people both Greek and non-Greek. I asked my Syrian friend what he believes when it comes to God and his answer was one that I expected to hear. 'I am a Muslim, you are Christian. Our two religions are different but I respect you.' Please pray that he comes to see who Jesus is and why he is the only Lord and Saviour.

The weather in Athens appears to be improving although we did have a spot of rain today. I was just getting myself ready for the cold temperatures, when all of a sudden I see this weather report in the Metro (right). Never mind!

Give thanks that today was another good day at the school. Both my classes were a delight and the lessons went well and to plan! One of my students even left the classroom saying 'thanks for a great lesson'. I've started putting some 'relaxing' classical music on when I get them to do work - it seems to help create a calming atmosphere but if anything it makes me feel more relaxed! I can't believe that another week has gone by. This weekend is going to be busy as I'm helping with a prayer and worship night in one of Athens stadiums. It is an exciting event as a large number of churches across Athens will be meeting to sing praise to God and pray for the city. I am helping set up and steward on the night which should be fun and another great way to get to know people from church. I will leave you with the news that my clock from England after one month of doing nothing has started working! It is a radio clock and so 'tunes itself' - hence why it's two hours slow! Anyway nice to have a little piece of England in my living room.

English clock, English time...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jon, I am so pleased that your lessons went well today, and what a good idea to play some classical music while the students are studying, perhaps a bit of Jools Holland next week!!!.
    I've just finished baking two quiches, one cheese and onion, the other broccoli and stilton, I also picked some lovely apples off the trees at Wallingford hospital so I made some apple puffs, with the left over stewed apple I'm going to have with some greek yoghurt and think of you. You take care and I'm looking forward to our Skype tomorrow. God Bless. Mum xxx
    The Lord's plans stand firm forever; his intentions can never be shaken. Psalm 33:11

    ReplyDelete