Saturday 30 November 2013

Transforming grace...

Another week has come to an end. It is amazing to think that there are now only three weeks left until the Christmas break. Overall, it has been a good week with regards to teaching with only a few challenges to contend with. I do feel knowing all the names of my children helps with regards to classroom management, although having over 100 has meant I've only just about got there. Most of my classes are a real pleasure to teach and I was greeted by a message on my board saying 'love you mrs jonathan'. It's the thought that counts! As you can imagine the rehearsals for the Christmas performance are in full swing, and I have to confess I'm quite enjoying trying to help the kids do drama. There have been some funny moments but I won't give too much away. You'll have to wait until the production is out on DVD!

On Thursday, it was great to see a Syrian family (mother, two sons) back at the feeding programme. We had not seen them for almost over a month and so it was good to be able to catch up. I spoke to the eldest son for most of the time and I would value your prayers for them. At the moment they are seeking to travel to Norway but it is proving tricky with the Greek authorities requesting paperwork. Added to this is the priority list where they are by no means near the top. Please pray for them and especially that over the weeks I might be able to have good conversations that point them to Jesus.

It has been a somewhat productive weekend which has involved a shopping trip to Carrefour, a few house jobs, marking, Greek homework and ... wait for it ... pumpkin soup! I came across half a pumpkin which I bought for just over 3 euros! I am delighted to inform you that my Greek yoghurt experiment prompted me to keep things simple and so after about three hours of cooking potato and pumpkin on a low heat, I ended up with quite a nice soup! I did however discover that pumpkins are quite big so my fridge is now pretty much just a pumpkin cupboard.

Pumpkin (bargain)
Tomorrow I am looking forward to church where we will God-willing hear more of his amazing gospel. The last few sermons have all been about 'justification by faith' so it has been a real treat. I've also enjoyed meeting with a few people in the evenings to listen to a sermon and pray.

As well as these exciting activities, I have been invited to speak at an Albanian church in Piraeus (south of Athens). I have got to know the Pastor through one of the ministries I help out with and he asked if I'd like to come and join them one Sunday. Please pray for me in this that I am faithful, clear and that I speak for God's glory. I've decided to speak about the cross from Isaiah 53 and Mark 15.

Finally, I wanted to end this blog post with a book recommendation. If I was still the bookstall apprentice then this would be all over the shelves like a plague. It is a book by Paul Tripp called 'Sex & Money: Pleasures that Leave You Empty and Grace that Satisfies'. Now from the title it is probably one of those books you'd not want too many people to see you reading, but too be honest it is so good, I really couldn't care less. According to my kindle I'm 99% through the book so nearly at the end! Although Tripp hones in on the areas of sex and money, I think that there is much more to the book then you at first might think. He faithfully and Biblically exposes and diagnoses the root of all our problems and struggles and leaves you seeing and savouring the only solution - Jesus. Now I don't have time to do the book justice so I would just say - go read it! However here is a little extract about 99% into the book:

The created world was designed to point you to where your heart will find its contentment and rest: in God and God alone. The sex-money insanity that harms and/or destroys our lives is the result of seeking from creation what can only be found at the foot of the Creator.

I think Tripp is right when he says, 'It is only the riches of grace that satisfy my heart'. God's transforming grace!   

Christmas at Carrefour

No comments:

Post a Comment