Sunday 10 November 2013

Amazing grace...


Another Sunday, and like last week, I found myself leaving church in amazement at the gospel of Jesus Christ. We know that the gospel of Christ is the most valuable thing anyone could ever own, yet like any prized possession, it is not long before the shine begins to wane and the dust begins to settle. Over these past two weeks, I have begun to realise just how deep, rich and vast the gospel really is. It is as if someone has come along and rebuffed the shine and blown away the dust. I make this observation not that I may be seen and lifted up but that Christ may be seen for who he really is and exalted to the highest place. What was the truth that hit me afresh today? It was the shocking, scandalous news that my acceptance before God has absolutely nothing to do with me. I don't know if you've ever asked yourself the question - why will God accept me?

I found myself convicted of how easy it is to drift into thinking that my good works count for something. That my efforts, my progress in spiritual disciplines such as reading the Bible and prayer are somehow twisting the divine hand of God in my favour but this is nonsense. If my works and efforts were needed in order for me to be saved, then why did Christ have to die. For some of my sin? No, the liberating truth of the gospel is that I am accepted by God completely and only on the basis of what Jesus did on the cross. My salvation has nothing to do with me. As Paul says in Romans 3:24 - all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Therefore the person who accepts this amazing grace and acknowledges that only faith in Christ is needed in order to know forgiveness and friendship with God, need no longer live in fear. Why? Because we can stop trying to please God and start resting in the truth that he is already pleased with us because of Jesus. The reality is that even on my 'best days' as a Christian, my good works and deeds are not enough. In his book 'The Disciplines of Grace', Jerry Bridges puts it like this:

“Our worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God's grace. And your best days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God's grace.”

This is as the apostle Paul says in Ephesians 2 - the gift of God - and what is the right response to being given any gift? Thankfulness. Nothing more nothing less.  

No comments:

Post a Comment