Tuesday 26 November 2013

Home comforts...


Strange as it may sound, I'm actually enjoying having a few gloomy rainy days - feels just like England. Ok so today it was 20oC but the temperatures are starting to drop and I've been warned that Athens can get rather cold - although I've yet to experience this extreme. A friend in church mentioned a joke someone made about English weather being somewhat apologetic, compared with the Greek weather being, well, let's just say, if it rains - it rains! From the picture above you might recognise another home comfort - fish and chips. Apparently these restaurants are extremely rare and so when a friend arranged a post-church outing, I wasn't going to miss this opportunity.

Today it was the feeding programme at the 'helping hands' centre and I enjoyed serving with the team and talking with some of the refugees. There was one small family (a dad and two sons) who I was able to speak with, although this was in Greek so conversation topics were slightly limited. It was great to see all the Christmas decorations up and next week the centre is holding Christmas parties over the week. Sadly because I work in the evenings I won't be able to attend, but this would be an area for prayer. It would be great to pray that this would be the first time someone comes to know why the Christmas story is the best news in the world.

Talking of Christmas stories, we had our first proper rehearsal for our school performance last Friday. I am slightly nervous that the actual performance is only two and a half weeks away! There is still lots to do so please pray, pray, pray! One of my children were a little displeased that they were a shepherd and not a king, we tried to say how the shepherds were very special and were actually the first people to be visited by the angels. Anyway, we press on. At least I don't have any donkeys to deal with!  

No comments:

Post a Comment