Sunday 4 May 2014

Final term begins...

After a blessed Easter break, I began the week all set for my final term of teaching at the language school. It really is hard to believe that there are now only six weeks left until school stops for summer. The other day, I was looking back at some of my earlier photos of Athens, photos marking my arrival back in August last year. I was filled with both a thankfulness for the times I've had, and a determination to make the most of the time I have left. When you begin to think about it, there really are many things to be thankful for, something that is easy to forget in the midst of busy every day life.

During my time in the North of Greece, short though it was, I came back understanding a little more about Greek culture and why things are the way they are. This was mostly due to a museum we visited in one of the monasteries. Many of the events of Greece's recent history were explained and I was impressed at how well organised and clear the displays were.

I also began to see in even greater detail why the Greek Orthodox influence is so dominant in Greek thinking. Whilst looking around the museum there were many exhibitions and notices. I confess that I disagreed with quite a few with regards to theology and how aspects of the Christian faith were being played out.

Yet, there were a number which really hit the nail on the head. I praise God that in this monastery it is possible for people to read and hear about the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. I thought I'd share a couple of the notices that were on display in the museum:

The person of Christ, divinity and humanity combined, risen to glory from the dead, is the centre of visible and invisible creation, the centre of the heaven and earth. His person is the centre of faith, of worship, of life and of the world. Christ is the all true God. He who completes and holds together all things, comprehending history, the past, present and future of the universe. Giving meaning and purpose to the life of man. And likewise Christ must be the centre of our own soul, our intelligence and heart and being, our passion and our desire, our rest and our rejoicing. 

                                       __________________________________

Christ is risen! Truly risen! The resurrection of the Lord is proof of his divinity. It demonstrates His victory over death and confirms that we too one day will rise from the dead. It signals immortality, the eternal life of the soul. It marks the dissolution of the empire of Satan. It points to the road leading to the Kingdom of the Lord. It liberates man from the bondage of Sin, restoring him to his place as a child of God, made divine by God's grace. It is our unwavering hope, our certain faith. 

From Megaro Meteora Monastery


Day trip to Nafplio
My best Greek writing yet! Slow going,
but it's going...


No comments:

Post a Comment