Friday 7 February 2014

After 9pm...

 

As I surfaced from the Syntagma metro station, I was met with this rather splendid view of the Hellenic parliament. It may be a poor quality photo (due to my poor quality camera phone) but as you can see, Athens really does come alive at night. In fact I shocked some of my students the other day when I revealed that people in England rarely (if ever) sit outside cafes at 9pm. They were truly amazed at this revelation.

Tonight was an evening of much fun as I joined some friends for dinner (or is that supper?) and drinks, yes all starting after 9pm. We had many discussions about the differences between the English and the Greeks, and strangely enough this all took place in an Australian themed restaurant. It was a really enjoyable time and the evening ended as we sat outside a taverna overlooking the Acropolis.

As the weekend approaches, I look back over a week where I have felt upheld by the Lord in so many ways. I continue to enjoy my job teaching at the school, however with the end of month tests, this week has been slightly more intense.

I am very thankful for both the ministry at 'helping hands' and the feeding programme at the 2nd Church. I am beginning to get to know both teams after many blessed months and also feel that I am starting to get to know those who attend each week. Please continue to pray for the work of these ministries and that people would above all meet and come to know Jesus Christ. It really is all about Him!  This is probably the biggest lesson I am learning as I continue to serve the Lord in Athens.

A French celebration! One of the French classes gave us some crepes and sweets. My class were in the middle of doing a test but if you're going to be interrupted I'm happy to get free sweets! 

No comments:

Post a Comment