Sunday 15 December 2013

One day, two Christmas performances...

 

As the Christmas holidays make their ever speedy approach, I write this blog entry in a somewhat relieved and reflective manner. It has been some week! Today was the big day of my school's Christmas performance. Note to self - when you organise a Christmas performance, ensure you have at least three months of rehearsals. However, after only three weeks, I think our children did a very good job indeed! Ok so Mary wasn't in when the Angel Gabriel visited, and another angel didn't show up at all during one scene, yet on the whole, everyone seemed to have a fun time and surely that's what's important. This has been one of the more challenging weeks as I continue to adjust to the education system in Greece. I am thankful for understanding work colleagues and see it all as a good learning experience. Only 6 days now until I fly back to England for Christmas where I am sure there will be much to reflect on concerning the past four months.

The final song of the big performance!

I can already look back and see how God is teaching me and showing me more of the riches of His abundant grace. This has come through many difficult experiences (mostly cross cultural related), but also through timely moments in reading His living word and also reading many other Christian books. I've also found that God brings into your life people (especially His people) who grow not only to be loving and supportive friends, but also important people in the process by which God uses to change us. This is an uncomfortable blessing at times, but one for which I am extremely grateful and know is deeply valuable as I seek His kingdom and righteousness. I am able to say that I have been blessed now in two countries with such friends.

The Nutcracker was a cracking night!
(get it?)
In the midst of this rather hectic week I was however able to escape for an evening of culture of the most highest form. I went with some friends to see 'The Nutcracker'. It's the first time I've been to the ballet and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I'm unable to make any technical dance related comments, all I can say is that some of the women must have extremely painful toes by the end of the night.

The highlight for me has to be how the colour, music and dancing all communicate so clearly a variety of emotions. From fear to relief, happiness to sadness, hope to despair, it really was a pleasure to watch.


This evening I was treated to another performance this time by the Sunday school groups from my church. It was great and especially good to be able to support some friends I have made since living in Athens. The nativity was slightly re-invented with a sweep of the Genesis narrative introducing all the major characters that point us to Jesus. I have to confess that I wasn't able to understand most of it but it was still good to be there.

Christmas performance at my church
My Greek is slightly improving but I am by no means there yet - and probably never will be there (wherever there is). And so I look forward to posting a pre-flght-to-England blog very soon, and of course catching up with family and friends where I can.

Please continue to pray for:

1. My work in the school - that I learn from mistakes and experiences and remain diligent and focussed in my work,

2. My personal walk with Jesus. That I remember that He is all I need - it's all about Him.

3. A good, joyful, restful, fun filled Christmas break.

4. Apostolis / lady from the coffee shop / my neighbours / colleagues - that I may in some way be able to live so they see something of Christ. Ultimately that God would draw them to Himself.   

No comments:

Post a Comment